I teared up for the first time today. In my defense, I was in the greeting card aisle at the grocery store, and it was more of a mist than a waterfall of tears, but either way, I welled up. Ya see, I'm thinking about this whole deployment thing. A few weeks ago, I never would have thought about getting a "deployment gift" for Jonny. 1. He tells me time and time again, that he's a simple guy, who doesn't need a lot of "stuff" and gets sheepish when he's the center of attention/the target of my big-big heart and my aspiring-to-be-big wallet. And 2. The whole concept is a bit off to me. I mean, "Here's a gift to celebrate something you don't want to do. Congratulations!" And then there's that whole, I-have-no-idea-what-to-get-him-anyway thing. I've been scouring the internet for weeks, but everything seems to fall short. So I opted out of it, and decided I'd just write a really, really nice heartfelt letter...describing exactly how I feel, and exactly what he means to me. I want him to know that I love him, and our crazy whirlwind romance, and I'm not going anywhere. That's sweet, right?
Right?
Well, lately I've been having doubts. Is it enough? Will a dumb letter do the trick?
I'm not so sure.
Which is why I found myself cruising down the card aisle in the grocery store...looking for some inspiration.
Instead - I found tears.
The worst part is...this is the easy part. I've gotten to speak to him for the last three days. He texts me all day long. And I get to see his sweet little face when he sends me picture mail. It's tough that I don't get to see him, but I'm coping. Or...at least trying to.
But that'll all change in about 2 months. After his deployment ceremony on the 26th, he'll spend 45 days at Fort McCoy before deploying to Kuwait. If I cry in the greeting card aisle now...how on Earth will I survive once he really deploys? When he can't call every day? When he can't send me text messages? When he's actually in harms way?
One day at a time...that's how.
But it's not going to be easy...
One of my friends told me that letters are one of the most powerful things he could receive while away from home with his unit. I'm sure anything you write will mean the world to him and it'll be a little piece of your heart he can carry with him.
ReplyDelete