I'm so excited. I can't contain it. I know...a change of pace, right? I'm not crying, not ranting, not talking about how my world is falling apart...because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world...and making a group where there is none.
I've said on here before that FRG's and other groups are made for Families (duh...that's what the "F" stands for)...but there's nothing for boyfriends or girlfriends. We're welcome there for the social aspect, but when they talk about anything good...we have to go. That doesn't even take into account that most of these things are taking place in cities that are hours from where I live...or the fact that I simply don't fit in in these groups to begin with. I'm not a wife. I'm not a mother. I'm not a fiance. Just a girlfriend that's crazy about her soldier.
So I e-mailed our local Beyond the Yellow Ribbon chapter about starting a group for people just like me. I can't be alone...I know I can't, and if I'm feeling this way...chances are, dozens of other people are feeling this way too. We're all caught in this massive grey area. And I'm setting out to break free from that.
I wasn't sure how it was going to be received...but within an hour or so, I got a response back. They weren't just interested -- they were VERY interested, and wanted me to help them head something up. Next thing you know, we scheduled a meeting...and that little coffee meeting, turned into a big meeting with more people from the organization. I made my pitch (or my plea...haha)...and they're on board. They're going to help me facilitate a group for military significant others. We'll have mixers and speakers and outreach events...and they basically said the group is whatever I make it, and they're just there to help. I'm thrilled. I'm excited. I can't wait to get started. Not only because this will be a tremendous asset to me, but because maybe, just maybe, it'll help some other people in Southeast Minnesota...and if it does at least that...if it helps at least one person...helps them sleep, helps them understand, helps them feel a little less alone...then I've done what I've set out to do.
And I can't wait to get started...
This is fantastic! I'm sure you're going to make a big impact on the lives of a lot of people who are feeling really lost right now. I'm so happy for you and so excited that your idea was so well received and supported!
ReplyDelete