Tuesday, June 7, 2011

one empty chair...

You never get used to deployment.  You can push it to the corners of your mind...ignore it...refuse to accept it...and though it might make it a little easier for awhile...you never get used to it. 

Since I can still text him and (occasionally) call him, I convince myself he's on some sort of tropical vacation somewhere...or on a business trip...but deep down, I know that's not true.  It makes the day to day easier, but when those days hold a special significance...it's hard to ignore that giant hole in your heart.  I had an award banquet tonight for work.  I got second place for best young Journalist of the Year, and first place for a Series report I did on drunk driving.  My mom was by my side, and I was thrilled to have her there, but I couldn't help but feel like something was missing...or at least...someone. It didn't help that there was an empty chair at the table too. 

It was a great night, a marvelous night...a wonderful night...I just wish he could have been there too.  Not just in heart or in spirit...but actually there.

I miss him always...but more on nights like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment