I still can't believe it. I've been on cloud nine for about 3 hours now...and have no intention of coming down any time soon.
Please don't pinch me :P
Fort McCoy is throwing this giant BBQ Extravaganza for the soldiers on July 10. I found out about it a few weeks ago from Jonny's family, because they got something in the mail. Thinking Jonny might not know about it yet (because if he did, wouldn't he have brought it up?) I texted him immediately. Turns out, he knew about it, but didn't want me to go. He said it was hard enough saying good bye to me once, and he didn't want to have to go through all of that again.
Too emotional.
Too tough.
Too draining.
I understood completely. That good bye wasn't easy. Not even close, and to be honest...I wasn't entirely sure I could handle it either.
But on the flip side...I wasn't too sure I could handle not seeing him either. A little pain is worth a few hours of happiness, right?
Ultimately, the decision was his. If he wanted me to go, I would be front and center. If it was going to make it more difficult for him, I'd swallow my own pride and keep things in order on the homefront.
He's flopped like a fish pretty much every week. One minute he wants me there...one minute he doesn't.
Finally today, I gave him the ultimatum.
(ring, ring)
"Hey hun? I know you don't want to talk about this, and you can't make up your mind...but, that BBQ is less than a month away, and if I'm going, I'll need to know soon because I'll have to take off work. So...sleep on it...make up your mind...and let me know by tomorrow, k?"
"Honey, what day is the 10th?"
"Sunday."
"Don't you work?"
"Yes. But I'll take it off if I have to."
"No, that's dumb. Don't do that. You'll only get to see me for like three hours."
"So? That's not a good enough reason."
"Well, it'll be a waste of time."
"That's still not a good enough reason. A good reason is...'Sarah, I don't want to see you again because it'll be too hard for me...because I can't imagine seeing you again just to have to leave you again.' That's a good reason."
"Well, that's true. But it's also a lot of driving. You'd be in the car longer than you'd be here."
"Again...that's up to me. Not you. If driving and time and work and all that wasn't a factor...and we're just talking about you and what you want. Would you have me be there or no?"
"No. You'll get to see me on the 15th anyway."
(pause)
"Go ahead and gasp." (ha, I gasp when I get excited...or surprised...and I love surprises).
"What? the 15th? Why?"
"Our pass got approved. I'm coming home!"
((GASP!!!!))
"Seriously?"
"Yes!"
"Oh my God! I can't believe it!!"
"Yeah honey...see? So there's no point in coming to Wisconsin on the 10th...because I'll just see you five days later."
And I've been smiling ever since :)
No comments:
Post a Comment